Latest News

The AGM was held on the 12:th of August in the Herberton Workshop. 

Among visitors present was LNP candidate Mario Quagliata,  here seen talking with Bob Slater

Jacaranda Festival

Jacaranda Festival day on Sunday 8th October was a great success.  The sun was shining and the Jacaranda trees were in magnificent flower which brought a big crowd to the Herberton Station. 

  

Visitors were able to see the how far restoration of the both the 1905 Peckett loco and 1013 carriage had progressed.  They found the displays on the history of the railway and sleeper cutters were very interesting and informative. 

  

The music of the Tableland Pipe Band, Tableland Brass Band and the MAS Choir had visitors feet tapping and bush poetry by Veronica Weal had everyone spell bound. Darryl Cooper kept people intrigued with his blacksmith demonstrations. 

  

Community groups such as the CWA, the Royal Flying Doctors and Herberton Fire Brigade joined in to give a festive feeling to the day.  The Lionesses took the Jacaranda theme of the day to an extra level and had purple cream on the scones of their Devonshire teas they were selling. 

  

The Jacaranda Express was busy all day carrying passengers on the line between Herberton Station and the Historic Village Herberton. 

  

If this year’s day is any indication next year will be bigger and better so keep the second Sunday in October free to come to Herberton Station for a great day out.

Platypus Park Station.  

 

The carriages at Platypus Park Station have now been  

pushed together and the gardens are looking a treat  

thanks to Annelin Nixon & Alan Stephenson  

from Bluegum Bobcat Hire

Carriages at Platypus Park Station

New acquisitions

The first ever Comeng diesel locomotive built for the Queensland cane industry is among a group of retired locomotives that have been donated to a rail museum on the Atherton Tablelands. 

The three locomotives have been sitting in storage at the Mulgrave Mill since being decommissioned several years ago. 

They are the 16-tonne Loco No 2, a locomotive built by Commonwealth Engineering Queensland – an Australian engineering company that designed and built railway locomotives until its demise in 1990 - and delivered to the mill in 1955. 

Two six tonne locomotives – Loco No 10 that was built by EMB Baldwin in NSW and delivered to Mulgrave Mill in 1964 and a Simplex Loco, built by Motor Rail in England in 1954 and used initially at Hambledon Mill before being transferred to Mulgrave in 1991 – have also found themselves a new home. 

The locos have been rehomed to the Herberton Rail Museum, operated by the Atherton-Herberton Historic Railway (Athrail), on the Atherton Tablelands where they will form part of a permanent rail display. 

Athrail president Bob Slater said the volunteer organisation appreciated the donation. 

“We would rather rehome the retired locos here than see them end up the scrap heap,” Bob said. “Over time and as funds permit, we hope to restore the three locos and have them part of a static display highlight the role that the sugar industry has played on the Tablelands.”

Loco No 2 and 10 arriving

Locomotives at new home